Free Speech Viewing Guide
Freedom of speech is a bedrock principle in the United States. Why did the Founders include protections for it in the Bill of Rights?
- Why is freedom of speech essential in a democracy?
- In your own words, define the “marketplace of ideas.”
- What did the Sedition Act of 1798 ban?
- What did the Espionage Act of 1917 and the Sedition Act of 1918 do?
- What is the “Clear and Present Danger” doctrine?
- In the modern day, what are some limits that the government may apply to speech?