They Were Superb: The 442nd Japanese-American Unit in World War II and Self-Sacrifice45 min
As you read, imagine you are the protagonist.
- What challenges are you facing?
- What fears or concerns might you have?
- What may prevent you from acting in the way you ought?
- Who were the 442nd Regimental Combat Team? Why was their role in World War II significant?
- What was the purpose of the 442nd?
- What did the members of the 442nd stand to lose while serving their country? Why did they take part in the war?
Discuss the following questions with your students.
- What is the historical context of the narrative?
- What historical circumstances presented a challenge to the protagonist?
- How and why did the individual exhibit a moral and/or civic virtue in facing and overcoming the challenge?
- How did the exercise of the virtue benefit civil society?
- How might exercise of the virtue benefit the protagonist?
- What might the exercise of the virtue cost the protagonist?
- Would you react the same under similar circumstances? Why or why not?
- How can you act similarly in your own life? What obstacles must you overcome in order to do so?
- Students will examine the actions of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team and their self-sacrifice.
- Students will apply their knowledge of self-sacrifice to their own lives.
- Students will determine ways in which they can sacrifice in order to help others.