Critical Thinking Questions
- What themes do you see from our class discussion playing out in these selections?
- Why do you think changing the census date from 1910 to 1890 significant?
- Do you believe a country should be able to limit who crosses its borders? Why or why not?
- What themes from Cleveland and Lodge’s arguments are reflected in the Immigration Act of 1924?
- What are Coolidge’s major themes and constitutional principles in support of immigration reform?
- How do you think this legislation impacted the relationship between immigrants and native-born Americans?
- Do you think the limiting of immigration had the impact the authors of the bill desired? Why or why not?
- The 1920’s in the United States are known as the “Roaring 20’s” due to the explosive growth of the economy. How might this economic boom effect feelings toward immigration?