Liberty & Equality in the American Founding with Carol Berkin Viewing Guide
Part I: Viewing Guide
As you view the video, answer the following questions.
- How does Dr. Berkin define liberty?
- Name one of the individuals Dr. Berkin identifies as nationalists.
- Why does Dr. Berkin state that individuals wanted a stronger national government?
- Does Dr. Berkin think Alexander Hamilton was power hungry?
- How many rights does Dr. Berkin mention Madison listed in his first Bill of Rights?
- How did Congress respond?
Part II: Questions for Discussion
After you view the video, discuss the following.
- What are natural rights?
- What does it mean that natural rights are inalienable?
- Dr. Berkin argues that Madison believed that the Bill of Rights would represent to the world what the United States stands for. How does it do this? Do you agree or disagree?
- What can we do as citizens to more fully realize the promises of the Declaration and the Bill of Rights?