Establishment Clause Viewing Guide
Access our Homework Help video on the Establishment Clause and use our viewing guide below to follow along!
Overview: The Founders feared that an established church would lead to religious persecution. What historical events impacted their beliefs, and how has the Supreme Court interpreted the Establishment Clause throughout history?
- In your own words, what is an established religion?
- Why was the Establishment Clause included in the Bill of Rights?
- What types of punishment did dissenters face in colonial America?
- Why were state governments allowed to have established religions even after the Bill of Rights was passed?
- How did the principle of incorporation impact the Establishment Clause?
- What is the Lemon Test?
- What are the three elements of the Lemon Test?
Access the answer key to the viewing guide here.