CRUEL AND UNUSUAL?
- A man who robbed a bank of $5,000 must serve three years in prison.
- A poor woman who stole a course of expensive medicine from a pharmacy to treat her child’s leukemia must serve three years in prison.
- A student who plagiarized her final English term paper is expelled from school.
- A teenager who stayed out three hours past his curfew is grounded for a week.
- A teenager who stayed out three hours past his curfew is grounded for a week, meaning he will have to miss the senior prom.
- A man who stole a two-pound bag of flour must have his hand amputated.
- A wife who killed her abusive husband is sentenced to death.
- A husband who hired a hit man to kill his wife—who attempted but failed to kill her—is sentenced to life in prison.