In this lesson, developed by and included with the permission of George Washington’s Mount Vernon, students will connect George Washington’s Farewell Address to the following later presidential foreign policy messages:
- Monroe Doctrine
- Roosevelt Corollary
- Wilson’s Fourteen Points
- Truman Doctrine
- Kennedy’s inaugural address
- George W. Bush’s 2003 State of the Union address
- Students will analyze Washington’s Farewell Address in the context of his legacy and U.S. foreign policy afterward.
- Students will compare and contrast U.S. foreign policy over time using primary sources.
- Students will work as a group to come to a consensus and present.
- Students will participate in a Socratic Seminar and debate the course of U.S. foreign policy since George Washington.
Visit Mount Vernon’s website to access this lesson and accompanying materials.