Access our Homework Help video on the Supreme Court case of U.S. v. Lopez (1995) and use our viewing guide below to follow along!
Overview: Can the federal government ban guns in school zones, or is it a state power? The Supreme Court addressed this question in the case U.S. v. Lopez (1995).
- What did the Gun Free Zones Act of 1990 ban?
- What part of the Constitution did Congress cite as giving it the authority to pass the Gun Free Zones Act of 1990?
- Why was Alfonso Lopez arrested?
- In your own words summarize the argument of Lopez’s lawyers.
- In your own words, summarize the argument of the government’s lawyers.
- Who did the Supreme Court rule in favor of?
- What is federalism?
- How does the principle of federalism relate to the Lopez case?