Access our Homework Help video on the landmark Supreme Court case of New York Times Co. v. United States and use our viewing guide below to follow along!
Overview: How should the United States balance between freedom of the press and national security? In 1971, the Supreme Court made a landmark decision regarding if the government can prevent newspapers from publishing classified documents related to national security.
- Who commissioned the “Pentagon Papers”?
- Why did Ellsberg illegally photocopy the “Pentagon Papers”?
- What does “prior restraint” mean?
- Why did the U.S. Justice Department argue publication of the papers should be stopped?
- How did the Second Court of Appeals rule?
- How did the District of Columbia Court of Appeals rule?
- Describe the Supreme Court’s decision in your own words.
Access the answer key to this viewing guide here.