Tanks in the Square
Look closely at the photo above. Focus on individual people, vehicles, and the scale of the setting.
- Recount what you already know about the historical event shown in this photograph.
- How does what you already know and understand about Tiananmen Square inform your understanding of what is taking place? What additional questions do you have?
- Where do you see examples of courage in this photograph?
- Identify the “Unknown Rebel” in this photo. Describe his scale in relation to the rest of the objects in the photo. What statement was he likely making?
- What was this person risking?
Defining Civic Virtues: Courage
To stand firm in being a person of character and in doing what is right, especially when it is unpopular or puts one at risk.