Progress Video and Viewing Guide
How far have we come?
The world today isn’t perfect, but we’ve come a long way, especially in the past 200 years.
- Abolition of slavery
- Women’s suffrage
- The Civil Rights Movement
- Invention of telegrams
- Telephones, and (eventually);
- Cellphones and the Internet
- Longer life expectancy
- Improvements in medical care, especially for treating cancer and heart disease
- Higher literacy
- Increased opportunities for education
- Invention of automobiles
- Widely available public transportation
- Safer vehicles
- What do you consider the most pressing problems of today?
- In your opinion, what are some of the biggest improvements in the quality of life over the past 150 years?
- Think of your favorite historical figure (or a character from a book or a movie set in the past). What would surprise them most about America today?
- Can you find other examples of where significant progress has been made?