Skip to Main Content
September Eleventh True or False
- President George W. Bush was the first President to order strikes on Islamic terrorists.
False: Thomas Jefferson was the first.
- Since most of the September 11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia, Bush ordered military strikes against that country.
False: He ordered a strike against Afghanistan, where the Taliban government was harboring Osama bin Laden, the leader of the hijackers.
- The overwhelming majority of victims on September 11, 2001 were civilians.
- President Bush’s approval rating was over 90% when Congress enacted the USA-PATRIOT Act (an act strengthening law enforcement power to find and capture terrorists.)
- The US declared war on Afghanistan when the Taliban government refused to hand over Osama bin Laden.
False: Congress never declared war. (And only Congress has the power to do so.)
- In December of 2001, a CBS poll showed that a large majority of Americans supported giving President Bush “special war powers”.