Handout B: Name that President (War in the Early Republic)
Name that President
- I issued a “neutrality proclamation” declaring the US neutral in the war between England and France.
- During my term, Congress was paying twenty percent of the US’s annual revenue to the Barbary pirates.
- I avoided a war with France that seemed inescapable.
- I relied mainly on diplomacy in dealing with foreign conflicts.
- I put an end to a traditional practice that had gone on for hundreds of years: paying off the Barbary pirates.
- I thought it was very important for the US to avoid foreign entanglements.
- I asked for and received the US’s first declaration of war.
- I declared victory against a foreign enemy.
- I did something unconstitutional.
- I had the hardest job of the first four Presidents.
- I made the best decisions as Commander In Chief.
- I made the worst decisions as Commander in Chief.