Handout B: Interview Questions (Bush v. Gore, 2000)
Directions: Interview a parent, older sibling, or friend who is old enough to recall the events of the 2000 election.
You may wish to ask:
- Where were you on Election Day, 2000?
- How did you get your news that day? Newspapers? Television? Internet? Other sources?
- If you were watching when TV stations began retracting their projections of the winner of the election, how did that make you feel? How did you feel as the evening’s drama progressed?
- What were the issues involved in the Florida controversy? Do you believe you understood them?
- Did you understand the arguments at the state and federal level as you remember them?
- For the time period when it was unclear who was going to be the next President, were you ever worried that violence would break out in Florida or elsewhere? Why or why not?
- Did you ever become impatient with the process? Why or why not?
- Did you believe the correct outcome was reached? Why or why not?