Can it be good for everyone?
The world changes constantly.
Changes in technology affect the economy and, potentially, the job market.
Throughout history, people have worried that new technologies would replace human workers and make it more difficult to find jobs.
- Textile workers sabotaged machinery they feared would cost them their job
- New farm equipment reduced the demand for farm workers
But these disruptions were temporary, while the benefits to society were large and permanent.
Future technologies will continue to change the way we work, but they’ll also open up new opportunities for us to become more prosperous than ever.
- Why were textile workers upset about the new machines in the factories?
- How do new technologies help our economy expand?
- Imagine an invention that would help you do your schoolwork or job more efficiently. What would that look like?
- What are the pros and cons of new technology like the textile machine or modern farming equipment? Thinking about the broader impact, do the pros outweigh the cons?