Background Essay Questions: The Supreme Court and the Bill of Rights
Background Essay Questions
Guiding Question: How has the Supreme Court decided cases in controversies related to the Bill of Rights?
- I can identify the role of the Supreme Court in protecting civil liberties.
- I can explain how the Supreme Court’s role has changed over time.
- What was the original Founding understanding of the Bill of Rights? How does this connect to the Founding Principle of federalism?
- How has incorporation led to controversy in the twentieth century?
- What rights has the Supreme Court protected, starting with the Warren Court?
- In your opinion, is the Supreme Court the branch of government best suited to protect civil liberties? Explain your reasoning.