Use this primary source imagery to analyze major events in history.
- Use this Primary Source activity after students have an understanding of westward expansion and Manifest Destiny to allow them to analyze the different aspects of the painting through the lens of the groups who settled the western parts of the United States.
- Where did Americans encounter this image?
- How might the medium in which this image was presented affect its message?
- (Figure 1) Refer to the provided image. How do each of the following change as the viewer moves from left to right?
- The figures depicted
- The light
- (Figure 1) Refer to the provided image. Taken as a whole, do you think Gast had a positive or negative view of westward settlement? Explain.
- (Figure 1) What figures in the provided image might have a different view of westward settlement? Explain.
Historical Reasoning Questions
- (Figure 1) Explain the causes of westward migration present in the provided image.
- (Figure 1) Refer to the provided image. Explain how this image hints at cultural cooperation and conflict during westward migration.
- (Figure 1) Explain how the provided image shows competition for natural resources affecting relationships between settlers and with American Indians.
American Progress http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/97507547/
More from this Category
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
In our resource history is presented through a series of narratives, primary sources, and point-counterpoint debates that invites students to participate in the ongoing conversation about the American experiment.