2018-2019 We the Students Essay Prompt:
What are essential qualities of a citizen in your community in 21st century America?
This year we are asking you to dig deep and make your scholarship essay personal. A citizen comes in many shapes and sizes. Some serve their community by voting and participating in political events. Others serve their community through entrepreneurship or philanthropy work. We want to know what you think makes a good citizen in your own community. We encourage you to be creative in writing this essay. Bring emotion, creativity, and well-researched facts into what your write. In your answer, incorporate Constitutional Principles specific examples (including current events) that support your conclusion.We can’t wait to see what citizens look like in your own communities.
Essay Writing Tips:
While you are writing:
- Stay focused and minimize distractions.
- Write however you feel most comfortable—using a pen and paper or a computer.
- Let your topic guide your structure. Consider including an introductory paragraph, three supporting paragraphs, and a conclusion.
- Stay on track: if you find yourself getting off the topic, go back and revise.
- Remember all writing is re-writing.
After you write, ask yourself:
1. Have I answered all aspects of the question?
- Is it clear what I am discussing?
- Have I stated an opinion when asked for one?
- Have I provided examples where asked?
- Have I said what I wanted to say?
2. Is my essay well-written?
- Have I used paragraphs?
- Do all my paragraphs have a topic sentence?
- Do I fully develop one idea per paragraph?
3. Is my writing correct?
- Have I checked for spelling errors myself, without relying on spell-check?
- Have I checked for grammar errors without relying on a grammar checker?
- Have I checked my facts: dates, document titles, names, etc.?
- Try reading your essay aloud to a family member. Does it sound like it flows easily? Can your audience member summarize your essay back to you in one or two sentences? (If they can’t, try going back and clarifying your ideas.)
- Try putting your essay down for a day or two and coming back to it and re-reading it. Do you notice anything you’d like to change or add?