Handout B: Religion at My School
Directions: Place a check mark before each example of religion in your school. Then, based upon your responses, write a short paragraph explaining how religion does or does not affect the daily life of your school.
- Students recite the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Prayers are said by students before athletic events or assemblies.
- There is a Bible and a Koran in the school library.
- Students and teachers sometimes discuss religion in class.
- Religious leaders visit the school and/or speak to classes.
- Student religious groups meet on school property after school hours.
- Students wear religious symbols such as crosses or headscarves while at school.
- Teachers wear religious symbols such as crosses or headscarves while at school.
- Classes about the history of religion are offered.
- The Ten Commandments are posted in the school.
- Official school holidays include Christmas, Yom Kippur, and Ramadan.