An Act of Supreme Valor: Michael Murphy and Self-Sacrifice45 min
As you read, imagine you are the protagonist.
- What challenges are you facing?
- What fears or concerns might you have?
- What may prevent you from acting in the way you ought?
- What was Michael Murphy’s role in Operation Red Wings?
- Why was the risky mission undertaken by the SEAL team?
- How do Michael Murphy’s unselfish actions help shape his identity?
Discuss the following questions with your students.
- What is the historical context of the narrative?
- What historical circumstances presented a challenge to the protagonist?
- How and why did the individual exhibit a moral and/or civic virtue in facing and overcoming the challenge?
- How did the exercise of the virtue benefit civil society?
- How might exercise of the virtue benefit the protagonist?
- What might the exercise of the virtue cost the protagonist?
- Would you react the same under similar circumstances? Why or why not?
- How can you act similarly in your own life? What obstacles must you overcome in order to do so?
- Students will analyze Michael Murphy’s actions while on Operation Red Wings
- Students will understand how acting selflessly can benefit those around them
- Students will understand how they can act more selflessly in their own lives.