Handout B: Digging into the Fourteenth Amendment
Directions: After reading “The Fourteenth Amendment and Incorporation” essay, be prepared to discuss the following questions in class.
- What are three important clauses in the first section of the Fourteenth Amendment?
- Identify a time when you, someone you know, or someone in a recent news event was denied due process.
- Can you think of a time when you, someone you know, or someone in a recent news event was denied equal protection under the law?
- Some people refer to the Fourteenth Amendment as the “Second Bill of Rights.” Explain what they mean by this.
- Define incorporation.
- The Founders believed that the Bill of Rights should apply only to the federal government. Why? Do you agree or disagree with the Founders? Explain.