Handout B: Children’s Crusade Discussion Questions
- Children’s Crusade, Martin Luther King, Jr. Encyclopedia
Once you have completed the reading, discuss the following questions:
- Why did King and the SCLC decide that it was necessary to include children in the Birmingham protests?
- What actions did Birmingham officials take following the conclusion of the Children’s Crusade?
- Some people were critical of the decision to expose children to violence, including Malcolm X, who said, “…real men don’t put their children on the firing line.” Do you agree?
- King remained convinced that it was necessary for children to participate in the protests, and he asserted that the experience allowed children to develop “…a sense of their own stake in freedom.” Do you agree?