Socratic Education Workshop: Education for Self-Governance Across the Curriculum
Join us for a weekend-long program on Socratic Education. The goal of the workshop is to examine, discuss, and practice the essential building blocks of leading Socratic practice in your classroom. Participants will leave with a set of resources that will help further their classroom discussions.
This is an application-based program with limited spaces and we are interested in committed middle and high-school educators with diverse experiences spanning various courses and environments.
Chicago, IL 4/27-28/2019
Austin, TX 5/4-5/2019
Accepted individuals will be provided with the program venue information.
- The first session will begin promptly at 9:00AM on Saturday and the last session will end at 12:30PM on Sunday.
- Sessions will be dialogue based and moderated by expert Socratic facilitators. They will rely heavily on participants to drive the conversation.
- The Institute will provide all meals during the program
- A $100 travel stipend is available upon request.
- A small number of hotel grants are also available upon request.
- Participants will be on their own to cover additional travel-related costs.
- Participants will receive a certificate for 9 contact hours at the conclusion of the program.
- Participants are asked to attend and contribute to every session.
9:00-10:00 – Model Seminar #1
10:00-11:00 – Socratic Theory
11:00-12:00 – Establishing Socratic Culture
12:00 -1:00 – Lunch
1:00-3:00 – Round Robin Sessions:
- Selection of texts
- Qualities of good reasoning
- Qualities of Effective Questioning
- Tools for assessment and evaluation
3:00-4:30 – Model Seminar #2
4:30-6:30 – Networking, Discussion
6:30-8:30 – Reception, Dinner, Discussion
8:00-9:00 – Breakfast
9:00-10:00 – Troubleshooting
10:00-11:30 – Structured Curriculum Workshop
11:30-12:30 – Closing Debrief
12:30 – Departures
Participants will be provided with approximately 50 pages of pre-reading in advance of the program and then come together to dialogue about the nature of Socratic practice, and practice pedagogy. In addition to the pedagogical sessions, participants will be asked to develop a new discussion-based lesson.
Teachers that attend this workshop will gain an increased level of comfort leading Socratic practice as well as a greater understanding of how Socratic discussions impact civil discourse and support democratic principles.
Application Period: Acceptances will be made on a rolling basis.