Constitution Day/Bill of Rights Day 2019
Deadline Extended to October 31st!
To celebrate Constitution Day (and Bill of Rights Day) 2019, we want to hear from you and your students!
In three minutes or less, share with us what unites your students in 2019. In other words – what brings us together in common Constitutional culture?
You may submit by tagging us in a public video posted to YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, using the hashtag #whatunitesuscontest.
For this contest, a first-place prize, and nine runner-up prizes will be awarded on or before December 15, 2019.
To enter, please see the rules below.
Contest Rules Overview
Current 7-12th grade educators in the United States and its territories are eligible to participate.
Submissions will run on BRI’s social media accounts.
Prizes are as follows:
- First prize: $200 Pizza Hut Gift Card (1), BRI Curriculum Kit (1), Class set (40) of BRI Student Swag Bags (incl. cinch backpack, pocket constitution, pen, sticky book, sticker set)
- Runner up (nine): $50 Amazon Gift Cards (1), Class Set of Pocket Constitutions (40), Class Set of BRI Stickers (40)
Submissions should be less than three (3) minutes in length and answering the prompt, “What unites us in 2019?”
Please note, BRI is an Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) organization. We engage in only educational and charitable activities. This means that any submissions that support or oppose any candidate for public office, including references to political campaign items or explicit political endorsement of a candidate, will be immediately disqualified.
Submissions will be considered eligible from September 10, 2019 12:00am EST until October 31, 2019 at 11:59pm PST.
- SPONSOR: The sponsor of the Constitution Day Educator Contest is the Bill of Rights Institute.
- ELIGIBILITY: Contest entrants must be legal residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia. Employees, officers, and directors of the sponsor, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, and divisions (“Related Entities”) and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings and their spouses) and household members (whether or not related) of each are not eligible to enter. Anyone serving as a contest judge is ineligible for the contest. The contest is void outside the fifty United States, the District of Columbia and where prohibited and restricted by any federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation (“Law”). The contest is subject to all Law.
- HOW TO ENTER:
- Submit the following to BRI’s Twitter, Facebook or Instagram accounts.
- 10 finalists will be announced via email and on BRI’s Facebook (@BRInstitute) and Twitter (@BRInstitute) channels on or around October 14, 2018. Prizes will be provided based on the following criteria: originality, composition, grammar, creativity, and application to the topic.
- Submissions are due by 11:59pm PST on Tuesday, October 31, 2019.
Multiple entries are permitted. Your participation in the contest is optional and at your sole and absolute discretion.
- PROHIBITED CONTENT: by entering the contest you agree not to create or submit a contest entry that:
- Infringes on any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary or property rights of any party;
- May be deemed, within the meaning of Law, to be electioneering communications, intervention in a political or electoral campaign, or lobbying;
- Is unlawful, threatening, harassing, abusive, obscene, vulgar, harmful, tortious, defamatory, libelous, false, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful racially, ethnically, or otherwise, or in any other way objectionable;
- You do not have the legal or contractual right to make available pursuant to any Law, or under any contractual or fiduciary relationship (such as inside information, proprietary information, and confidential information, earned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- Harms minors in any way; or
- Violates any Law, intentionally or unintentionally.
The sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any and all contest entries that violate the above conditions, or for any other reason at any time without prior notice.
- JUDGING AND SELECTION OF PRIZE WINNERS: All contest entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Originality in thought and composition
- Creativity evident in relation to the topic
- PRIZES: On or about November 15, 2019, ten prize winners will be announced (the “Prize Winners”). The Prize Winners shall receive the follow (the “Prize(s)”):
- First prize: $200 Pizza Hut Gift Card (1), BRI Curriculum Kit (1), Class set (40) of BRI Student Swag Bags
- Runner up (nine): $50 Amazon Gift Cards (1), Class Set of Pocket Constitutions (40), Class Set of BRI Stickers (40)
All Prize values are based on United States Dollars. The winning submissions will be published on the Bill of Rights Institute social media channels.
- PRIZE RESTRICTIONS: The specifics of all elements of the Prizes stated in these contest rules shall be determined by sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion. If an alternate prize is substituted and awarded: any portion of the alternate prize not used by any Prize Winner is forfeited and no substitute will be offered or permitted; all elements of the Prize being offered are: (a) provided “as is” with no warranty or guarantee either express or implied by sponsor; (b) without warranty other than that offered by servicers or as required by Law; (c) provided without making the sponsor responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the Prize, including by not limited to their quality or fitness for a particular purpose; and (d) if applicable, not transferable or redeemable for cash and may not be extended, transferred or substituted, except that the sponsor may substitute a prize of equal or greater value when necessary, as determined in its sole and absolute discretion (any such changes will be announced at the sole and absolute discretion of the sponsor). Each Prize Winner assumes sole responsibility for all costs associated with any elements of the Prize not explicitly included as part of the Prize, including without limitation, all federal, state and local taxes (if any), feeds, surcharges, or other expenses. Other restrictions may apply. In compliance with United States Internal Revenue Service regulations, the sponsor will send *FORM* to any Prize Winner, which requires disclosure to the sponsor of the Prize Winner’s Social Security number. Prize Winners remain solely responsible for paying all federal and other taxes in accordance with Laws that apply in the Prize Winner’s state or residence.
- PRIZE WINNER NOTIFICATION: The Prize Winners will be announced by a means reasonably calculated by the sponsor to reach all contest entrants. Following the announcement of the Prize Winners, the individuals selected as the Prize Winners will be notified via Twitter, Facebook or Instagram DM within three days from the date of the selection by the sponsor. The Prize Winners will be required to complete, sign, and return a Certification of Eligibility, Liability Release, and Publicity Release (the “Winners Certification”) within fourteen days of the day the sponsor provides a Prize Winner the notification email or call. If a Prize Winner fails to satisfy any eligibility requirements, declines to accept the Prize, or is ineligible for any other reason, the Prize Winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected at the sole and absolute discretion of the sponsor. Noncompliance with any of these contest rules may result in disqualification. The sponsor is not responsible for fraudulent communications made by third parties to contest entrants or the Prize Winners. A Prize Winner is not an official winner until the Prize Winner returns the Winner’s Certification and eligibility has otherwise been formally verified by the sponsor.
- OWNERSHIP OF YOUR CONTEST ENTRY: By submitting your contest entry you hereby relinquish, grant, transfer, assign, and deliver to the sponsor all right, title, and interest of every kind and nature whatsoever that you have in the photo essay you compose as part of your contest entry, including the copyright and all other intellectual property rights thereto. As a condition of receiving your Prize, you may be required to execute additional documentation such as copyright assignments to sponsor of your contest photo essay. In addition, you hereby irrevocably assign to the sponsor all causes of action, included accrued, existing, and future causes of action, arising out of or related to the rights, including copyrights, in and to the essay you write as part of your contest entry.
- DISPUTES: By participating, entrants release sponsor and its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, and their members, directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability with respect to all aspects of the contest including all losses, damage or bodily injury resulting from participation in this contest, and the possession, acceptance, or misuse of prizes. By entering the contest, you agree that (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected to the contest or the prize, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the contest by in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and you hereby waive all rights to, any claim; punitive, incidental, or consequential damages; and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these contest rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrants and sponsor in connection with the contest, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Virginia without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Virginia. Any legal proceedings arising out of this contest or relating to these contest rules shall be instituted only in the federal courts located in the Eastern District of Virginia, and the parties consent to jurisdiction therein with respect to any legal proceedings or disputes of whatever nature arising under or relating to these contest rules. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these contest rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these contest rules shall otherwise remain in effect and be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained in these contest rules.
- INTERNET: If for any reason this contest is not capable of running as planned due to an infection by a computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the sponsor that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest, the sponsor reserves the right at its sole and absolute discretion to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the contest. The sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, or theft, destruction, or unauthorized access to or alteration or entries. The sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or telephone lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or entry to be received by the sponsor due to technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to your or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this contest or downloading any materials in this contest. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE. THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Uses of automated devices are not valid for entry.
- GENERAL: By entering this contest or accepting the Prize, you (a) agree to be bound by the sponsor’s policies, these contest rules, and the decisions of sponsor which are final and binding in all respects; and (b) consent to the use of your name, voice, picture, and likeness for charitable, educational, advertising, and promotional purposes in any medium throughout the world in perpetuity without additional compensation unless prohibited by law. The sponsor reserves the right to correct typographical, clerical, or printing errors in any contest materials. The sponsor reserves the right to prohibit any person from participating in the contest if, at its sole and absolute discretion, the sponsor finds such person to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the contest, or if such participant repeatedly shows a disregard for or attempts to circumvent these contest rules, or acts: (x) in a manner the sponsor determines to be not fair or equitable; (y) with an intent to annoy, threaten, or harass any other entrant, the sponsor, or related entities; or (z) in any other disruptive manner. The sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the contest at its sole and absolute discretion.
- WINNERS’ LIST/CONTEST RULES: To request an official prize winners list or a copy or these contest rules, both available through November 15, 2020 send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out the winners from the 2018 Constitution Day Teacher Contest here.