Directions: Discuss the following questions with your partner(s).
- To what extent, if at all, is some degree of ambition and arrogance necessary in order for a person to carry out significant leadership roles? At what point does ambition and arrogance affect military leadership in a republic?
- What were MacArthur’s accomplishments and adversities in the Philippines?
- List examples from the narrative of MacArthur’s arrogance and/or disrespect toward others during World War II and the Korean War.
- Using a map of Korea and different colors of pencils, trace significant movements of the U.N. troops commanded by MacArthur, as well as the enemies he faced there. A very useful interactive map is found at Australia’s Involvement in the Korean War: Korean War Strategic map. https://anzacportal.dva.gov.au/wars-and-missions/korean-war-1950-1953/resources/korean-war-strategic-map
- To what extent did MacArthur’s arrogance contribute to his adversities?