Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to attend Constitutional Academy?
High school students who are currently a sophomore, junior, or senior in the 2014-2015 school year are eligible to attend Constitutional Academy during the summer of 2015.
When is the application deadline?
Applications must be received by May 1st, 2015. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, so apply early and hear back from us sooner!
What are the requirements to be accepted to the Constitutional Academy?
- Students will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis based on their application.
- Students must be a sophomore, junior, or senior in the 2014-2015 school year.
- Students who apply should be interested in the government, civics, public policy, journalism, economics, or constitutional principles.
- Students should be academically oriented as the program will consist of lecture, discussion, and activities that are geared toward high-achieving high school students.
What are the costs for the Constitutional Academy?
- $1500. This covers the costs of meals, lodging, site visits, and programming covered by the Bill of Rights Institute. Both full and partial scholarships are available. Please contact Academy@BillofRightsInstitute.org if you have questions.
Should I book a flight as soon as I apply?
Please wait to book a flight until you receive an acceptance letter from the Bill of Rights Institute with further directions.
How will students be transported in and around Washington, D.C.?
Students will be transported between venues on charter buses. Chaperones will accompany students on the bus.
Will my son/daughter be supervised?
- Students who are flying will be continuously supervised from baggage claim at Washington Reagan airport on the day of arrival until they pass through security prior to departure at Washington Reagan airport. Due to security regulations, we cannot meet your student at the gate or pass through the TSA checkpoint with them. We will assist your students with directions to or from their gates.
- Students who are dropped off at Marymount University will be supervised from the time they are dropped off until the time they are picked up.
- Chaperons will accompany students from the airport, during meals, site visits, lectures, activities, group work, and while they stay in the dormitories.
- Male and female students will be separated during overnight hours in the dormitories.
What should we bring with us?
- Students should bring professional clothes, business casual clothes, and casual clothes with them to the Academy.
- Students will receive specific information on what to wear for each day upon acceptance.
- Comfortable shoes are a must!
- A laptop computer or tablet is highly recommended. Students find them very useful when completing projects!
- Notebooks, pens, pencils, highlighters, and other clerical items are suggested.
- Any reading materials we have provided to you should be brought with you. We will remind you what items you will need for each session or day.
- Do remember that our program continues no matter what the weather – Washington is known for being extremely hot and humid in July.
Who should I contact if I have questions about the Constitutional Academy?
Please feel free to contact Laura Vlk, Program Manager for the Constitutional Academy, at Academy@BillofRightsInstitute.org or 703- 894-1776, ext. 20.