Media and American Democracy
Media and American Democracy will help your students understand freedom of the press and the essential role and responsibility of the media in a free society. Students will examine how the Internet and 24-hour cable news outlets deliver news and commentary to the public in real time from thousands of sources, making the protections of the First Amendment more complicated.
Your students will examine the following:
- Historical foundations of the First Amendment
- Limits to the First Amendment in the interest of national security
- How media images influence our understanding of current events
- The role of bloggers in mainstream media
- Student journalists' rights