Handout H: Wrap up Discussion
- Handout F: Civic Virtue Quote Cards (pp. 13-17 of Lesson 1)
- Handout G: Montessori Quote (p. 13 of Lesson 5)
Once you have completed the reading, discuss the following questions:
- What virtues have youth protestors exhibited?
- What are the different kinds of virtues that were called for in Birmingham and Des Moines? What are the similar ones?
- Do you agree or disagree with the Maria Montessori quote: “In all adult society the child is an outsider…So he is shut up in special rooms… Or else he is banished to school, to that exile which adults reserve for children until they are able to live in the adult world without disrupting it. Only then can he be admitted to human society.” –Maria Montessori, Basic ideas of Montessori’s Educational Theory, Kinder sind anders, 1931
- What could young people do in order to change the perception articulated by Maria Montessori?