VOID WHERE PROHIBITED
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR RECEIVE A PRIZE
- ELIGIBILITY: Sweepstakes entrants and prize recipients must be legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are (a) aged 18 years or older (b) aged 13 years or older who have received permission in writing from their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to enter the Sweepstakes. Employees, officers, directors, and members of Sponsor, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, and divisions (“Related Entities”) and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings and their spouses) and household members (whether or not related) of each are not eligible to enter. Void outside the fifty (50) United States, the District of Columbia and where prohibited and restricted by law. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations.
- SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Sweepstakes is Bill of Rights Institute.
- HERE’S HOW TO ENTER: This Sweepstakes begins at 12:00AM Eastern Time (“ET”) on January 11, 2016, and ends on 11:59PM Eastern Time (“ET”) on March 6, 2016. To enter, you must visit http://billofrightsinstitute.org/engage/students-programs-events/debate-competitions/ and provide your name and email address or vote in the 2016 Bill of Rights Student Free Speech Online Oratory Competition at http://billofrightsinstitute.org/engage/students-programs-events/debate-competitions/, and agree (and, if applicable, have your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) agree on your behalf) to these Sweepstakes rules. Limit one entry per person. Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that entrant’s entries and that entrant will be disqualified. Uses of automated devices are not valid for entry. Entries must be received by the end of the Promotion Period. Sponsor is not responsible for computer system, phone line, technical, hardware, software, program or server failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or network connections or any other difficulties, whether human or technical or otherwise in nature. Sponsor is not responsible for entries that are processed late or incorrectly or those that are lost due to computer or electronic malfunction or other error or for those entries that for any reason are not received by Sponsor prior to the stated deadlines. All entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Entries must include a valid e-mail address for the entrant.
- PRIZE AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (“ARV”): PRIZES: On or about April 27 + ~2 WEEKS, 2016, six prize winners will be announced (the “Prize Winners”). The Prize Winners shall receive the following (the “Prize(s)”):
- First Prize – $2,500.00, a scholarship to Sponsor’s Constitutional Academy, and a trophy
- Second Prize – $500.00 and a trophy
- Third Prize – $250.00 and a trophy
- Fourth Prize – A trophy
- Fifth Prize – A trophy
- Sixth Prize – A trophy
All Prizes will be paid in United States Dollars. The approximate retail value of the Prizes are as follows: First Prize – $4,575.00; Second Prize – $550.00; Third Prize – $290.00; Fourth Prize – $25.00; Fifth Prize – $25.00; Sixth Prize – $25.00.
- RANDOM DRAWING/ODDS OF WINNING: At approximately 12:00PM ET on April 27, 2016, [[ten] (10)] winners will be selected at random and will each be awarded $50. No entrant may win more than one (1) prize of any kind. Subject to verification of eligibility, the person whose name is so drawn will be declared the winner. All selections are final. Odds of winning will depend upon the number of eligible entries received.
- PRIZE WINNER NOTIFICATION: Following the drawing, potential prize winners will be notified via email within three (3) days from the date of selection by Sponsor based on the information provided by that person on his or her entry form. Potential prize winners and, if applicable, their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) will be required to complete, sign, and return a Certificate of Eligibility and Liability Release and Publicity Release (the “Winners Certification”) immediately upon the receipt of the notification email. If a potential prize winner fails to satisfy any eligibility or verification requirements in these Official Rules, declines to accept the prize, or is ineligible for any other reason, he/she may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected. Noncompliance by any potential winner with any of these Official Rules may result in disqualification. Sponsor is not responsible for fraudulent communications made to entrants or potential prize winners not by Sponsor. Potential winners are not official winners until the Winners Certification has been returned, or eligibility has otherwise been formally verified by Sponsor.
- PRIZE RESTRICTIONS: The specifics of all elements of the prizes stated herein shall be solely determined by Sponsor. Any portion of the prizes not used by any winner is forfeit and no cash substitute will be offered or permitted. The prizes being offered are provided “as is” with no warranty or guarantee either express or implied by Sponsor. The prizes carry no warranty other than that offered by manufacturers or as required by law. Sponsor has neither made nor is responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prizes, including but not limited to their quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. Prizes are not transferable or redeemable for cash and may not be extended, transferred or substituted, except that Sponsor may substitute a prize of equal or greater value when necessary, as determined in its sole discretion. Any such changes will be announced. Each winner assumes sole responsibility for all costs associated with any elements of the prizes not explicitly included as part of prize description, including without limitation, all federal, state and local taxes (if any), fees, surcharges, or other expenses. Other restrictions may apply.
- DISPUTES: By entering the Sweepstakes, entrants agree that (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Sweepstakes, or the prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Sweepstakes but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrants and Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of Virginia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Virginia. Any legal proceedings arising out of this Sweepstakes or relating to these rules shall be instituted only in the federal or state courts located in Arlington, Virginia, and the Eastern District of Virginia, respectively, and the parties consent to jurisdiction therein with respect to any legal proceedings or disputes of whatever nature arising under or relating to these rules. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these rules shall otherwise remain in effect and be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
- INDEMNIFICATION: By entering the Sweepstakes, Sweepstakes entrants and each winner agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Sponsor, Sponsor’s parents, subsidiaries, and affiliates and their related parties, and the respective members, directors, officers, employees, and agents of each from and against all liability, damages, claim, or cause of action, including, but not limited to, injury, death, damage to property, loss of property, or other causes of action however named, arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes and/or use or receipt of any prize or prizes awarded in the Sweepstakes.
- GENERAL: By entering this Sweepstakes or accepting a prize, entrants and prize winners: (a) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor which are final and binding in all respects; (b) agree to release Sponsor, and each of its officers, directors, employees and agents from any and all liability for any loss, harm, damages, costs or expenses, including without limitation property damages, personal injury and/or death arising out of participating in this Sweepstakes, or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a prize and related thereto and claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery; and (c) prize winners consent to the use of their names, voices, pictures, and likenesses for advertising and promotional purposes in any medium throughout the world in perpetuity without additional compensation unless prohibited by law. Sponsor reserves the right to correct typographic, clerical, or printing errors in any Sweepstakes materials. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In the event that, for any reason, more than the stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules is available and/or claimed, Sponsor reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by a random drawing from among all legitimate, un-awarded, eligible prize claims. Sponsor reserves the right to prohibit any entrant from participating in the Sweepstakes if, at its sole discretion, Sponsor finds such entrant to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes, or if such entrant repeatedly shows a disregard for, or attempts to circumvent these Official Rules, or acts: (x) in a manner the Sponsor determines to be not fair or equitable; (y) with an intent to annoy, threaten or harass any other entrant, Sponsor or Related Entities; or (z) in any other disruptive manner. The Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Sweepstakes at its sole discretion.
- INTERNET: If for any reason this Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned due to an infection by a computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Sweepstakes, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes, at which time, Sponsor will conduct a random drawing from among all non-suspect entries received at the time of the Sweepstakes termination. The Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. The Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or telephone lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by the Sponsor due to technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Sweepstakes or downloading any materials in this Sweepstakes. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. In the event of a dispute as to the identity or eligibility of a winner based on an e-mail address, the winning entry will be declared made by the “Authorized Account Holder” of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person 18 years of age or older who is assigned to an e-mail address by an internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, education institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Uses of automated devices are not valid for entry.
- WINNERS’ LIST/OFFICIAL RULES: To request a Winners’ List, or a copy of these Rules, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify “Winners’ List” or “Sweepstakes Rules” in the subject line of the email. Requests must be received by June 27, 2016.