Children at this age are still forming their basic understanding of society. They aren’t ready to deeply discuss issues, but when they are, they will start asking you questions. If they ask, you should feel free to talk to them at their level. The best thing about being a parent is that you know your child best, and you know when they are ready and how to reply to the questions they ask!
- Politics can be scary! Political advertisements are often dark and frightening. For kids this young, it might be a good idea to change the channel and avoid the furor.
- Kids can sense their parents’ fears and frustrations. If they feel like you are worried or angry about the election, they will be too. Comfort their fears and let them know that you’re here for them and that things will be okay.
- If they are excited about the idea of elections or want to learn more, introduce them to School House Rock or take them through some of the activities below!
- Take your kids with you to the polls on primary/caucus day and Election Day! Let them be part of the process.
Activities and Resources
- School House Rock videos
- KidsVoting USA – Let your kids vote in the primaries and elections!
- Online Resources