Being an American: The Declaration of Independence
Click on the image below or this link to download a copy of the The Declaration of Independence lesson plan from our curriculum designed to support English language-learners.
- Examine the famous phrases of the Declaration of Independence.
- Understand the purpose and structure of the Declaration of Independence.
- Understand that individuals inherently have rights.
- Understand that legitimate government depends on the consent of the governed.
- Appreciate the constitutional principles of liberty and government by consent.
Lesson plan includes the following resources:
Handout A: The Declaration of Independence text (Versions 1 and 2*)
Handout B: Key Excerpts (Versions 1 and 2*)
Handout C: Structure of the Declaration
Handout D: The Declaration, the Founders, and Slavery (Versions 1 and 2*)
Handout E: Slavery Essay
Handout F: Comparing the Second Treatise of Government by John Locke and the Declaration of Independence (Versions 1 and 2*)
Handout G: Glossary of terms
Handout H: Close Reading Test
* Where applicable, version 1 written is at a higher level than version 2.